[78-L] Indentify Paris Poodle RnR

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 1 20:31:24 PDT 2009

I have no idea where to begin in identifying the LP "Rock and Roll Festival," Paris P-101. Paris was apparently a division of Eli Oberstein's last label Masterseal; I can't believe such a cheap label could've had a subsidiary, but I guess if Naxos had Lydian, anything is possible.

Some of the recordings are obviously sourced from 78, and all seem to be by the same artist - 1-2 saxes, piano, bass and drums. 14 tracks credited to "All Star Orchestra," no titles given and not one familiar, as these all seem to be nothing more than loose R&B jams. This link leads to the label, which some of you might appreciate:

http://www.box.net/shared/q9urc0f85c

and this to an audio selection of three pieces, 2.7, 2.2 and 1.7 respectively.

http://www.box.net/shared/qnzno53dhe

The piano breakdown figure in the first piece was used also by Bob Gaddy in his Jackson record "Bicycle Boogie," but it's a standard lick used by a lot of pianists. Style of sax playing is closer to someone like Freddie Mitchell than say, Earl Bostic or Sam "The Man" Taylor; mainly the guy just blows and blows, any old thing.

Mxs. Side 1  12:00 "122," 4:00 "DG-106" as per label.

Side 2 2:00 "1 1" 6:00 "107" (label reads DG-107) and eight characters, all stamped out with X's and illegible.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what this is. Thanks for any info if you know,

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com