[78-L] Phonograph vs. REcord

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 18:18:46 PDT 2009

Phono collectors are phono collectors, record collectors are record collectors, and
never the twain shall meet. Well, sometimes they do, of course; there must be many
people deeply interested in both vintage sound recording and vintage sound
reproduction. But the various message boards, and people who post on them,
*generally* tilt towards one, with some substantial knowledge of the other. And
phonograph collectors will always defend playing 78s on their machines, and record
collectors with no interest in phonographs will always question their wisdom. I've
pretty well learned to accept that.

Vintage phonographs can be *beautiful* to look at. I love the swelled look of VV-XVIIs,
and of course the beautiful grain work of VV-XVIIIs. Regardless of their acoustic
performance, they are splended examples of woodwork and finish (assuming, of course,
that the original finish has been preserved or correctly restored!). Many Columbia and
Edison console models of the early 20s are very smartly designed, as of course are the
numerous electrically amplified and radio/phono models available through the mid 30s.
The angular Art Deco patterns used on some of them and the Spanish designs on
others are immensely appealing to me personally.

And yet, there is something that wouldn't quite permit me to play records casually
on any such machine I'd acquire in the future. Certainly I'd never play Hit of the Week,
Durium, Filmophone, or such brands on them for any reason, and probably not
the various Brodcast series either, as they were finely-cut (ergo a 10-inch record called
"Broadcast 12"). I don't see the harm in occasionally playting a record on a vintage
machine if the disc is non-valuable and/or in V+ or less condition. But are all
wind-ups equally harsh on records? The design used by Victor on many
1900-1902 models, and on its less expensive makes thereafter, has the soundbox
directly on the bottom of the horn, and the tracking weight must be rather heavy.
But a most interesting defence of Orthophonic machines comes in this video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml5u7AU42oo
particularly in his citation of a 1928 study that examined surface wear on discs
after 100 plays with a new needle each time. It was published in American Phonograph
Monthly; has anyone read it?

-Harold