[78-L] Mitch Miller Horrifies

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 29 20:53:19 PDT 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> "Easy Listening" music...an actual radio format of those days...was
> simply music selected to be as INoffensive as possible!! Something
> like a restaurant run along the same lines..."Oh, no...we DON'T
> serve chili...it's WAY too spicy, and someone might object on
> those grounds! Have a dish of oatmeal instead...?!"
>
> ...stevenc

Actually, well arranged easy listening music is far more complex than 99% of
pop and rock of the last 50 years, even though much of it was meant NOT to be
noticed. Muzak, on the other hand, was as bland as possible and as limited in
dynamic range as could be accomplished without filtering everything entirely.
Has anyone noticed that while the term "elevator music" is still universally
understood, elevators haven't had music in them for years? Except in "Airplane
II" of course.