[78-L] Pairing artists for greater sales

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Mar 27 17:48:56 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Ok...at this point I admit that I am totally lost on this thread,  so maybe
> somebody can bring me up to speed.
>
> I had thought the original deal was to list  well-known recording "stars"
> who were put together on certain records by the record companies in order to
> sell more records.
>
> Since then we have seen all sorts of posts and suggestions for that "list"
> which seem to cover anything and everything where the two artists in
> question are even slightly well-known.

Well, the original question concerned if Victor (RCA or otherwise) did
it, because it was more obvious on Decca, Brunswick, and Columbia.  Jack
Kapp was a master at arranging these things with the purpose of
increasing sales because of the novelty of the thing as well as
potential artistic excellence.  I mean, wouldn't you think that fans of
both artists would each want to buy the record?  Of course there is the
possibility that some pairings would turn off the fans of one performer
if they HATE the other.  For example:

Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley  -- (they did appear on TV together,
even after Frankie said some very nasty things about Elvis)

Bing Crosby and David Bowie -- (their TV duet was released, and was just
as weird on disc as it was on TV)

and the ULTIMATE PAIRING, which resulted in a FABULOUS record that I am
surprised nobody has mentioned yet, especially since Lenneck reissued it

Jimmy Durante and Helen Traubel !!!  Yes, Jimmy Durante on RCA Victor
Red Seal!!    And there's a PICTURE
https://www.allposters.com/-sp/Wagnerian-Operatic-Soprano-Helen-Traubel-with-Comedian-Jimmy-Durante-sing-A-Real-Piano-Player-Posters_i3838848_.htm

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com