[78-L] Pairing artists for greater sales

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Mar 27 17:27:42 PDT 2009

Ok...at this point I admit that I am totally lost on this thread,  so maybe
somebody can bring me up to speed.

I had thought the original deal was to list  well-known recording "stars"
who were put together on certain records by the record companies in order to
sell more records.

Since then we have seen all sorts of posts and suggestions for that "list"
which seem to cover anything and everything where the two artists in
question are even slightly well-known.

I don't follow Royal's view that a Frankie Laine-Jo Stafford duet doesn't
count,  but that a RWK with a Henry Burr vocal does!?!?!  Burr was a working
free-lance singer who recorded a wide variety of material,  from the early
days into at least the early 30s.  He had a fan base but was not a star in
the sense of Stafford or Laine.  And Kahn,  although largely self-financed
at the start of his career,  was already a major bandleader on record.

As far as  I recall,  no one has mentioned one of the worst "celebrity
artists" parings on 78rpm...the infamous Sinatra-Dagmar sides on Columbia.
Yes,  she was a "star" of sorts,  at least for a few years on TV.

Taylor B