[78-L] Pairing artists for greater sales

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Mar 26 23:49:01 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> By the way, the label didn't go to "RCA Victor" in Canada until 1947. And on
> looking at Bluebird records from 1941 pressed in both countries, I notice "RCA
> Manufacturing Company" on the American label and "RCA Victor Company Limited"
> on the Canadian one, so it's all one.
>
> David Lennick wrote:
>
>> Artists still referred to the label as "Victor". Dinah Shore does so on an
>> early 50s broadcast. Pre-1946 Victor catalog numbers remained the same when
>> they were re-pressed as RCA Victor.

What is on the label above the spindle hole: Victor, Victrola, RCA
Victor, Bluebird, RCA Bluebird, does not matter nor have any
significance  to what's in the grooves.   We are actually discussing
management  policies--the decisions of who to record and with whom--and
the major management change occurred in 1929 when RCA took over the
Victor Talking Machine Co. and changed the name of the COMPANY to Victor
Talking Machine Division  Radio-Victor  Corporation of America.  Within
a year it was RCA Victor Company, Inc.  It was only around  1936 or 36
when it became RCA Manufacturing Co. Inc. (although the 1936 catalog
states the company name on the title page as RCA Victor Division of RCA
Manufacturing Co. Inc.), then finally RCA Victor Division of Radio
Corporation of America, which is the name that continued from the late
30s into the 50s.   So, the only time in the 78 era when the COMPANY was
called  ONLY RCA Victor Company, Inc. was from late 1929 into the
mid-30s which covers the Program Transcription, Timely Tunes, and early
buff Bluebird era.  The management change occurred at the point of the
VTM Division of Radio-Victor Corp of Amer.  name.

>> And who the hell cares anyway? By now we've established that the Victor label
>> was as prolific as most others (except Decca which carried on the pairing
>> tradition Jack Kapp brought over from Brunswick) in combining artists, no?
>>
>> dl

True, both before and after RCA took Victor over.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com