[78-L] Pairing artists for greater sales

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 21:19:15 PDT 2009

How about
Aileen Stanley and Gene Austin on "When My Sugar Walks Down the Street"
Aileen Stanley and Johnny Marvin on a number of sides
Marion Harris and Billy Murray in 1917

and as long as we're counting vocalists with dance bands, I *think* I recall seeing
Turner Layton and Morton Downey listed as vocalists for the S.S. Leviathan
Orchestra, a group that recorded for Victor in 1923-24. If I'm remembering right,
then Layton may be the first African-American performer to sing with a white band.

By the way, who is this Marcia Freer who appeared on Victor in 1924? She made
some solos, some dance band refrains, and a few sides each with Henry Burr and
Lewis James, but I can't find much else on her, other than a few radio listings
from 1930 for broadcasts she made that year.

-Harold