[78-L] shifting phases

Mark Durnberger Mark4 at durenberger.com
Mon Mar 23 06:44:44 PDT 2009

This approach...what I'd loosely call the "Differential Method"...is also
one of the radio broadcaster's underrated tools.  Stereo stations can set up
their audio by transmitting a clean L-R signal while adjusting their audio
transmission equipment for a NULL as heard on a MONO receiver.  The
simplistic assumption is that when both audio channels are balanced, their
combined output will be maximized with an L+R signal, and minimized when the
signal is L-R.

I posit this thought with full respect for my friends and fellow-listers Bob
Orban and Bill Ruck, who will tell you it isn't always that simple :-))  But
this is a terrific starting point and a simple tool.

And why wouldn't one use this method to adjust the RECORD side of a tape
deck...assuming the playback side is solidly calibrated?

Regards,

Mark Durenberger