[78-L] Collection remains mute

Eric Jacobs Eric at NoopMedia.com
Mon Mar 23 00:12:18 PDT 2009

> The entire collection remains locked in silence because the library
> lacks any means of playing them.

Or is it that the library simply lacks the funds to properly digitize the
recordings?

> They are reluctant to even let me see them.

Glass discs are extremely fragile.  If packaged properly, glass discs
can be shipped with minimal risk.  We've done this many a time.  The
16-inch glass discs present some challenge, but these, too, can be
shipped.

Whatever you do, wear gloves when handling the acetate.  The acid from
finger prints will eventually etch the surface of the lacquer and if
on the grooves, will forever be audible.

For a complete list of Do's and Don'ts with transcription discs (aka
lacquers):

http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Resources_Disc_Transcription.htm#Do

> But the librarian said that if someone were to offer the library a
> means of digitizing them without doing them appreciable harm

We measure the grooves under a 150x microscope with a 10-micron reticle
before even touching them with a stylus.  This helps us get the stylus
geometry and dimension correct often with just one play.

On the cleaning side, we've done a lot of research on chemistry and
the cleaning process.

Those discs should probably be digitized soon - the laminate is only
continuing to shrink, and will eventually delaminate.  It's inevitable.
If the discs are coated in palmitic acid, that's just another sign
of deterioration.  Cleaning and digitizing, and then re-sleeving in
fresh base-buffered acid-free sleeves would be best - but not inexpensive.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ at TheAudioArchive.com
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting