[78-L] unstable records, was CV records

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 22 12:35:59 PDT 2009

Gallagher and Shean's recording of "Positively, Mr. Gallagher?/Absolutely,
Mr. Shean!" on Victor 18941 appears to change keys at the side change.  I
have no idea which is correct!

Sammy

David Lennick Wrote:

There's a Paderewski electrical that is a major economy sized pain to keep
on
pitch. Two-sided piece..as I recall, I had to do a pitch adjustment of close
5 percent in the first few seconds.

There are also some two-part recordings where the pitch is entirely
different
between the two sides. One is Respighi's "Aria di Corte" on Victor
(Barbirolli,
New York Philharmonic). Another is Hovhaness' "Mihr" on Disc..that one drove
me
crazy 30 years ago when I had no frame of reference or proper key-checking
equipment and couldn't tell which side was in the correct key, if any.

dl

joe at salerno.com wrote:
> Speed instability is not limited to minor labels or very early records.
> We could probably start a new thread of unstable 78s.
>
> Rachmaninoff's "One Lives but Once" (Strauss) 78 is horrible for speed
> stability IIRC. There's one early piano recording on Gramophone (it's on
> APR but I'm too lazy to go look it up) where the artist starts playing
> before the platter is rotating up to speed. These were careless things,
> or machine malfunctions. It's more surprising that they allowed such a
> thing to be released, but in a new industry, who cares? CV records were
> an attempt to bring new technology to the market. I don't know if they
> played longer, but the sound quality would be more consistent through
> out the record, and I assume, surface noise as well.
>
> joe salerno
>

> yves francois wrote:
>>   ...so a CV record is doing the opposite on purpose what the Gennett
6089 did by accident, probably due to faulty mechanisms, very interesting,
guess my obsession with jazz does not take me to certain avenues of 78's