[78-L] Single-Sided Columbia - microphone label

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 21 20:37:01 PDT 2009

Laughton recited the Gettysburg address in "Ruggles of Red Gap" (1935) so this
record could have been in answer to requests. Rust says "c. January 6, 1937"
and that it was recorded in London. My copy (early 40s) has no lead-in groove
and an old style stop groove which was overcut by an eccentric stop groove, and
the matrix number is US Columbia style, not English. The flip on my copy has an
earlier run-through groove and matrix number 3-375-1.

The S indeed indicates single-sided and you'd think that it might have been to
denote a lower price, but the 1940 catalog lists it at 75 cents, same as all
other -M series records. Victor also used S for single-sided discs when in
album sets, and those were priced lower. Nor can I find any indication that
this disc was issued in England, at least on Columbia..maybe the CP prefix
indicates a special purpose or custom recording. It does say "Imported
Recording" on the label.

In answer to Royal's question which just came in, it's a standard blue
Masterworks type label without the word "Masterworks".

dl