[78-L] unstable records, was CV records

joe@salerno.com jsalerno at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 21 17:27:59 PDT 2009

Speed instability is not limited to minor labels or very early records.
We could probably start a new thread of unstable 78s.

Rachmaninoff's "One Lives but Once" (Strauss) 78 is horrible for speed
stability IIRC. There's one early piano recording on Gramophone (it's on
APR but I'm too lazy to go look it up) where the artist starts playing
before the platter is rotating up to speed. These were careless things,
or machine malfunctions. It's more surprising that they allowed such a
thing to be released, but in a new industry, who cares? CV records were
an attempt to bring new technology to the market. I don't know if they
played longer, but the sound quality would be more consistent through
out the record, and I assume, surface noise as well.

joe salerno