[78-L] constant velocity records, was Value of 78's

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 12:07:41 PDT 2009

On 3/21/09, yves francois <aprestitine at yahoo.com> wrote:

>    ... are we aware of one of the very rare records Gennett 6089 (Vicksburg
> Blowers, reissued on Herwin LP 109, Joe Bussard let the Herwin record label
> use his disc for the LP reissue, I of course, never seen this 78), it plays
> progressively faster on the last minute or so of the record, is this similar
> to the concept you are talking about (though it sounds like an error in the
> machinery on that record, both sides)? Too bad it is not corrected, it is a
> reasonable performance (though not as good as the King Brady's Clarinet Band
> on Black Patti of similar heritage)
> Yves Francois
No.  A CV record (assuming an outside-start cut) played back on a
regular turntable will either start out at a very high pitch, much
faster than normal, gradually seeming to slow down toward normalcy
toward the end, or if started at a speed where things sound normal, it
will gradually sound slower and slower, as if things are running down.