[78-L] Collection remains mute

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 21 11:36:42 PDT 2009

Hello,
In my search for material for my Lou Breese biography, I found the
Ashton Stevens collection at the Newberry Library in Chicago, Illinois.
In the collection of papers, news clips, etc, is a number of glass
acetate, aluminum acetate and other types of records. One of them
happens to be a recording of Lou Breese. The entire collection remains
locked in silence because the library lacks any means of playing them.

They are reluctant to even let me see them. But the librarian said that
if someone were to offer the library a means of digitizing them without
doing them appreciable harm, they might consider allowing them to be
heard. My brain immediately started rolling. I could take a few days
off, go down there with my equipment and set up a recording lab and
digitize the entire collection.

But then I though there might be someone in the Chicago area who would
be interested in doing this who has credentials and the equipment an and
the time to perform this task.

Here is a list of the materials in the collection:
First, this is his wife, Kay's collection:
http://www.newberry.org/collections/FindingAids/stevensk/StevensKb.html#series5subseries1
Then Ashton's
http://www.newberry.org/collections/FindingAids/stevens/Stevens.html#series6

The collection include Ediphone and other cylinders, which I could be of
no help for.

Any thoughts?

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)