[78-L] Value of 78's

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Mar 20 17:28:04 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Moore" <john_moore7 at sky.com>
> Hi Everybody,
> Can anyone help me over this matter? I do have a small collection of 100
> 78's of various british dance bands. I just wondered if, vinyl lp's and
> singles are worth large sums of money in most then, how about these old
> 78's?
> I do also collect vinyl of "pop" music and do buy the "Rare records price
> guide" this does cover some 78's by artist like Elvis Presley the Everly
> Brothers and some other 1950's artists. but the book is more dedicated to
> vinyl singles, lp's coloured vinyls etc. if, these vinyl records are worth
> money then what about the great 78's of the dance band era? any ideas?

The sad reality is that "old 78's" are NOT worth huge amounts of money...
at least on a predictable, guaranteed basis! This is particularly true of
the
78's from the "dance band era" (assuming you mean the "swing era" of
1936-c.1945...?). The latter records have survived in fairly vast numbers...
certainly more than the collectors interested therein...!

It is true that individual 78's will sell for large amounts on Ewotsit; this
usually happens when the buyer sees a record being sold in which
he/she/it has strong emotional interest...and as a result takes the view
"I am going to buy THIS record...whatever it may cost me...?!"

78's are worth approximately $1 each (or the local-currency equivalent).
INDIVIDUAL 78's may attract higher bids (see above)...!

Steven C. Barr (who owns about 55,000 78's, and who has recently
bought more, usually for a few cents each, in large-lot deals...!)