[78-L] Jack Lawrence (1912-2009)

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Fri Mar 20 15:46:19 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote;

--
I've gotta be good or mama will scold me
Yes, yes, yes

Mother, should I keep my resistance? Yes, my darling David
Mother, will you give me assistance? Yes, my darling David
What If there's a tune, mama darling, and it sounds just like that big hit
Mother, must I keep on arguing? Yes, my darling David
What if he'll insist, mama darling, Minka was the one to fame it
Mother, what should be my answer? No, my darling David

(melody: "Yes, My Darling Daughter")
--
Sorry, just couldn't resist.
My best regards to your mother, David - I wish I still had one. Mothers are
great memory sources. Many years ago my mother told me a story about that
"Elvis Presley song" I mentioned a few days ago, "Aura Lee". She remember
having heard it as a child: her father brought the record home and played it
on the wind up gramophone back in Estonia in the 1920's. In the 1960's, when
my mother heard "Love Me Tender", she told some friends about this and they
all laughed. Presley in the 1920's - sure!
But I was able to confirm her memories by searching for international
recordings of the song at that time. There were a few. And the hits in
Tallinn were the same as in Stockholm, Amsterdam or London.
--
About "Minka": I'm not trying to say that Lawrence used "Minka" as his
primary source - as I understand "Minka" was the basis for other Ukrainian

So don't let them begin the beguine
Let the love that was once a fire remain an ember

And compare that with:

But please don't bring your lips so close to my cheek
Don't smile or Ill be lost beyond recall

Most recorded versions of the song are extremely similar, with the melody
going up on "fire" ("Begin The Beguine") and on "lost"  on "All Or Nothing
At All". The only exception I've heard is Anne Shelton's recording with
Ambrose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qULayAyC15c
(After about 1'37)

There's a different melody solution in this part. My guess ins that Ambrose
deliberately choose to change it in order to keep the tunes apart. Anyone
possesses the score?
Extra note: RIP, Jack Lawrence: these two songs belong to my all time
popular favourites - and "Tenderly" isn't bad either...Any guy who put his
name under those songs are worth his place in the Songwriter's Hall Of Fame.
Kristjan