[78-L] Glenn Miller and Beethoven

William A. Brent bbrent at pipeline.com
Thu Mar 19 22:05:57 PDT 2009

At 06:42 PM 3/19/2009, you wrote:
>  I once had the very rewarding experience of introducing a close
> friend, whose musical tastes only extended to Ray Conniff, L & L
> Elgart and James Last to classical music through playing for him,
> for the first time in his life, Beethoven's 5th, (the Karajan 1962
> performance).  This was in the late 60s and he suddenly became an
> evangelist for the merits of classical music.  To this day, he
> renews his subscription to the Symphony season every year, loves
> all classical music from the pop concert
>  favourites to the obscure and I'm sure his Bert Kaemphert LPs have
> not seen any wear since 1967.

hey - watch what you say about Bert! - :-)
one thing that's overlooked here - Conniff was a very good musician -
The Elgarts and Denny's of the world
produced good music - maybe not always exciting - or real musical
gems - but good, listenable music.
Its not that much of a stretch for someone who liked the early 1960's
form of "Easy Listening"
to accept and appreciate serious (or classical) music -
now move that to 2009

try that same experiment on a test group of people who think the
current most popular songs on the planet
are "good music" and see how many classical evangelists you end up with

BTW - in case you were wondering - here are this weeks most played,
bought, downloaded and listened to
musical tracks on earth (and possible elsewhere).

1  Flo Rida - Right Round
2  T.I. Featuring Justin Timberlake - Dead And Gone
3  Lady GaGa - Poker Face
4  Soulja Boy Tell 'em Featuring Sammie - Kiss Me Thru The Phone
5  Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You
6  The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell
7  Kanye West - Heartless
8  Jamie Foxx Featuring T-Pain - Blame It
9  Miley Cyrus - The Climb
10 Lady GaGa Featuring Colby O'Donis - Just Dance

NOT FAIR!!! I hear you cry - this is main stream pop stuff - the
fellow from the 60's would be the equivalent
of today's easy listening crowd.

fair enough - I picked an easy listening station at random, and
pulled their top ten songs (with a few lines
of the lyrics) - maybe those who listen to this would be better
suited to classical music...

1. Jason Mraz - I'm Yours

Well you done done me and you bet I felt it
I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted

2. Natasha Bedingfield - Pocketful Of Sunshine

I got a pocket, got a pocketful of sunshine
I got a love and I know that it's all mine, oh, oh oh oh...

3. Coldplay - Viva La Vida

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone

4. Jordin Sparks - One Step At A Time

Hurry up and wait so close but so far away
Everything that you've always dreamed of
Close enough for...

5. Kelly Clarkson - Because Of You

I will not make
The same mistakes that you did
I will not let myself
'Cause my heart so much misery...

6. Elliott Yamin - Wait For You

I never felt nothing in the world like this before
Now I'm missing you and I'm wishing

7. Lifehouse - You And Me

What day is it? And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive
I can't keep up and I can't back...

8. Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You

Some people live for the fortune
Some people live just for the fame
Some people live for the power,...

9. Rob Thomas - Lonely No More

Now it seems to me
That you know just what to say
But words are only words
Can you show me something...

10. Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry

The smell of your skin lingers on me now
You're probably on your flight back to your home town