[78-L] 78-Glenn Miller and more

JACK DANEY jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Mar 19 16:31:50 PDT 2009

> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Eric Goldberg <ericgoldie2 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Glenn Miller and more
> To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>

>> ?Also Sprach David Burnham:
>>
>> It is too bad when a tune which starts life as a revolutionary hit gets
>> played
>> so often that everyone gets tired of hearing it and then blames the tune
>> itself for the weariness it inspires.? This has happened with "Rock Around
>> the
>> Clock", "White Christmas", Beethoven's 5th, Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto
>> and countless other pieces, such as "In the Mood".
>>

> I reply:?
>
> I don't think I would place "Rock Around the Clock", "White Christmas", and?
> "In the Mood" in the same class as the Beethoven No. 5 or the Tchaikovsky.

Thank you, Eric. You've saved me some typing aggravation and a possible
blood pressure calamity although I'm still foaming at the mouth at the above
remark. Unfortunately I just can't be as subtle or polite as you (my
apologies to those concerned or offended). Such obvious and blatant lack of
musical sensitivity goes a long way to explain why real music has all but
become extinct. I would like to point out however, that the Tchaikovsky and
Beethoven are hardly "tunes"  and that those who tire of hearing music of
this unimpeachable quality would do well to have their eardrums pierced.
Although I'm no defender of "In the Mood" (it's a pedestrian tune, Miller's
sudemen hated it, and the arrangement is mediocre and poorly written) it's
obvious why the public responded to it as they did. The melodic figures can
actually swing  and desspite the less than perfect arrangement, technically,
it has all the hooks to capture the popular ear...and that's fine, not every
big band recording could be or had to be a gem. If I'd ever had my own band
I would have played the thing every night, probably several times because
that's what the dancers responded to and as I've just stated, with good
reason. But, I would have redone the arrangement a bit and raised it a whole
tone, from A-flat to B-flat which would give it a new life sonically, not
because keys sound different from ene-another (they don't) but because it
would lay better for the band, the brass in particular and show the whole
off to much netter advantage. And, despite the low opinions of "In the Mood"
by musicians and others, even it doesn't deserve to be compared with "Rock
Around the Clock." Next to that atrocity or Haley's Comets it's Beethoven.

> I remember going to review a performance of Beethoven's 5th. I took a friend
> of mine who had played at the Metropolitan Opera for 37 years and was well
> acquainted with the orchestral repertoire. I asked him when the last time he
> had heard the Beethoven and he admitted it hadn't been for quite a while. My
> comments was "You know it really is as good as they say"> The first thing he
> said as we left the concert was "You know, it really is that good".
>
> I don't think I will ever find something new in "In the Mood", whereas I find
> new aural treasures every time I hear the Beethoven or the Tchaikovsky, and I
> have heard both of those pieces countless times.
>
> Of course, I am talking about Beethoven and? Tchaikovsky as they wrote them.
> If you only know them from one of the two record sets once advertised on TV
> as" All the Classical Music you will ever need" then they are can be seen as
> cliches.

Great point, Eric, how well I remember that terrible line that British actor
John Williams was required to read in that disgraceful commercial. I,  my
fellow musicians and anyone with musical sensitivity were horrified when
that commercial came out. I recall reading that there was such a ruckus from
the public to that disgrace that it was either pulled or changed.
next case,
Jack D.