[78-L] Columbia picture labels

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 19:10:11 PDT 2009

The discussion on Columbia's blue shellac issues made me think of queries I'd
been meaning to ask about the picture labels Columbia used for a while. Paul
Whiteman, obviously, had the most prominent personal label during that period, but
Columbia's other big artist, Ted Lewis, had one of his own--albeit not as elaborate
and not always inclined to wear well over the years! Does anyone know when the
black-and-silver Lewis label was introduced and retired? I know it's present by 1999-D, issued probably in the fall of 1929, and I think it was still there in early 1931, but I don't
know for certain. Lewis's 1932-33 issues on blue shellac had a simple line drawing
of Ted above the Columbia name. Did he ever give his opinion on all the fuss Columbia
made over PW's arrival even though Ted had been the label's standard bearer for the
past decade?

Rudy Vallee also had his own label during his brief tenure (1932-33) at Columbia.
The ones on the black-and-gold label are rather odd, with a drawing of Rudy over
the label name, the Columbia notes in the bottom part of the label, and "Radio Record"
underneath "Columbia". Anyone know why they did this?

Even Seger Ellis had a picture label for at least one OKeh issue (and possibly others);
anyone know how many?

-Harold