[78-L] First Blue Wax Columbia issue?

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 18:50:47 PDT 2009

There is a lot of variation in late '35/early '36 Columbias; one of the last all-blue
(i.e. blue shellac, blue label with "Columbia" *not* in all-caps) that I've seen offered
for auction was a Jay Randell disc, either 3112-D or 3113-D, recorded 27 Dec. 1935.

The offerings on Columbia's -D series during 1936 are an interesting mix: many
British dance band sides, some material concurrently issued on Brunswick (like
the Fred Astaire discs) and lots of Hawaiian bands. The Mills Blue Rhythm Band
and a few discs by Frank Froeba and Herbie Kaye were the main dance band
material not (AFAIK) issued elsewhere, at least Stateside. Does anyone know who
Bart Woodyard was? His band had issues on 3149-D and 3150-D, and I've never seen
them offered anywhere...I don't recall his band being listed in ADBD, and some of the
sides look Hawaiian-oriented, but I don't know for sure.

-Harold