[78-L] Jack Lawrence (1912-2009)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 18 14:25:12 PDT 2009

Kristjan Saag wrote:
> David Lennick
>
> And here's where he says he wrote both music and lyrics:
> http://www.jacklawrencesongwriter.com/songs/yes_my_darling_daughter.html
> ---
> That's proof, for sure.
> Didn't Elvis Presley write "Aura Lee"? Says so on the record label.
> Kristjan

Hey, never let the facts get in the way of a good argument. I always thought
YMDD was adaptated from a Yiddish song but I'm not coming up with anything, so
I'll stick with my "starting point" theory. Then I'll put it in a liner note
and it'll be in WackyPackia within a year.

As for the Elvis argument, I was just thinking that if the song had been
introduced on the Al Jolson program, guess whose name would have been on the
sheet music? Except that Jolie wasn't on the air between 1939 and 1942 and
Lawrence probably would have told him to get lost.