[78-L] Jack Lawrence (1912-2009)

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Mar 18 10:10:45 PDT 2009

--
Not quite. He borrowed the music from an Ukrainian tune, "Oy ne khody,
Hritsu", which, itself, is said to be variations of the old cossack Minka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYrGI0FncYc

More about the song (from a youtube discussion):

"This is a 17th century Ukrainian song by semi-legendary female author
Marusya Churaj. The song advises a man (Marusya's love) named Gryts' not to
go to vechornyci, or traditional evening party for the youth. Gryts' went to
this party, and was enchanted by a girl there. The song's refrain is 'lutshe
bylo'- it would have been better not to have gone to the party, not to have
known love and not to have loved, rather than to have experienced it and now
having to let it go."

Kristjan