[78-L] Darwin was wrong

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Mar 17 19:21:11 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> Hey..somebody tell Oscar that you can't tote a barge.
>
> dl

The HELL you can't!  On a canal and many rivers that was about the ONLY
way to move a barge.  They didn't have motors.  They didn't have
tugboats.  People or horses towed barges by ropes to them on the "Tow
Paths" along the banks.  Why else do you think those pathways were
called TOW Paths???????  Barges could also be pushed by pole walkers on
board the barge if the water was shallow.  Remember how this was done in
the Davy Crockett/Mike Fink films?

Steven C wrote about sucks lemons:

> >Not if my memory serves me right...and I was around when the
> > truncated phrase first showed up...!!

Well, I was around BEFORE the truncated version showed up, and this predates the dirty connotations.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com