[78-L] Darwin was wrong

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Mar 16 20:22:28 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> I can't be sure how you interpret what is being sucked, but the phrase
> actually evolved from the expression "This sucks lemons."  Now, of
> course, if you are picturing what sort of things you would like to
> picture Kelly Clarkson sucking, then it probably is a trashy statement,
> but I'll stick to her sucking lemons.

Not if my memory serves me right...and I was around when the truncated
phrase first showed up...!! The missing final word in the phrase originally
referred to what one of my favourite dubious limericks refers to as "the
distinguishing parts of their (male) sex"...(the rhyme is "Exeter," BTW)...!

Sadly, obscenity has become the standard phraseology of the new
"younger generation" (Note VERY MUCH younger...I will admit to
being taken aback when a kid no more than five, if that, dropped
whatever he was carrying and rattled off a string of phrases that
would have done my old USAF D.I. in "basic training" quite proud...!!).

In fact, our swearing has ALSO deteriorated badly over the decades...
once vivid phraseology has been replaced by endless repetitions of that
same old "F-word"...!! I learned the art of obscene commentary from
various residents of the British Isles and Australia...as well as a near-
endless series of risque ballads that NO ONE seems to sing any more...?!

...stevenc