[78-L] Margaret Whiting

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Mar 15 13:44:02 PDT 2009

I agree,  Ray.  Whiting was the first singer I discovered "on my own" when I
was in grade school (1963).  A friend had a little stack of 78s at her
house,  and one of them was the Whiting Capitol of Can't Help Lovin' That
Man b/w Come Rain or Come Shine...wow!  Even on that first listen,  I really
dug the way she could drop into a rich lower register ("Days may be cloudy
or sun-NY"...) and I played that copy to death.  When I later heard her do
the same thing on "Moonlight in Vermont" ("Falling leaves,  a syca-MORE...")
I'd get tingles...still do!  Phrasing...the best.

I was very lucky to hear her live around 1985...no, not with the Four Girls
Four thing but here in Seattle at a small club,  just Maggie and her
pianist.  JEEZ was she great...one of the best music evenings of my life.
She did her hits,  also a lot of her Dad's tunes including the best Breezin'
Along With The Breeze ever...and came back for an encore with "I'll Remember
April" which she just NAILED and that is a hard song to sing and also one of
my faves.

She rarely gets listed with the "greats" but that may be because people
don't bother to listen to her past Far Away Places or maybe There's A Tree
in the Meadow...not bad at all but they don't show her at her best.

Taylor