[78-L] 78 vs 45 at 60

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 15 08:19:03 PDT 2009

At 05:02 15/03/2009, Steve wrote:
>1) The "nexus" of 78 vs. 45 was around 1954 or so...! And IF there was
>a similar cylinder vs. disc point, I have never seen a citation
>thereunto...!?

I probably used the term incorrectly. I was trying describe the point
from where the 45 and the 78 appeared as competing formats in the
marketplace. And as such, the sales figures for Texarkana Baby by
Eddy Arnold on RCA Victor 20-2806, the 78, vs RCA Victor 48-0001, the 45.

The second part is -- was there a similar point where a recording (as
a opposed to a song) was simultaneously issued in both formats by the
same company for the first time.

I haven't listened to the BBC documentary yet, but have it saved.
There will be similar documentaries this month as follows:

Third Reich & Roll - Mondays,  16 - 30 March 2009 - 2330-0000 GMT:
The fascinating story of how the Third Reich - a dictatorship with an
advanced appreciation of media manipulation - developed magnetic tape
recording, the very technology that led to the birth of rock'n'roll.
Over three weekly episodes, Stephen Fry tells the story of how
Hitler's huge financial investment in recording for propaganda
purposes would eventually give rise to exactly those personal
freedoms he was trying to suppress.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/documentaries/thirdreichandroll.shtml

 From Edison To iTunes  - Saturdays, 14 March 2009 1900-2000 GMT:
Critic, writer and one-time label boss, Paul Morley charts the rise
and rise of the record labels and looks ahead to a more uncertain
future. This is a music lover's portrait of the music industry, told
through the many iconic and generation defining record labels that
helped mould it. Drawing on new interviews with leading record men
from the past six decades, Paul Morley shows how record labels
emerged in the late 19th century and developed across the next 130
years, placing the vision and passion of the label-creators in the
context of the technological, social, economic and even political
developments that surrounded them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/documentaries/fromedisontoitunes.shtml
Listen again:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00j6lgn/From_Edison_to_iTunes_Episode_1/