[78-L] 78 vs 45 at 60

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Mar 14 22:02:43 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> BBC Radio 2 has just aired part 1 of documentary on the single. The
> trailer for it highlights the fact that this is the 60th anniversary
> of the issue of Texarkana Baby by RCA. The show, callled The Singles
> Story, can be listened to on:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/documentaries/thesinglestory.shtml
> So, I'm wondering, as this is a nexus point in recording formats
> where 1 disc first came out as 45 and 78, does anyone know the sale
> figures on the two formats? Also, was there a similar nexus between
> cylinder and disk?

1) The "nexus" of 78 vs. 45 was around 1954 or so...! And IF there was
a similar cylinder vs. disc point, I have never seen a citation
thereunto...!?

2) One important point is that prior to the "Swing Era" record buyers
bought discs with reference to the SONGS on the records...NOT the
artists! After c. 1935-6, buyers wanted specific recordings of a tune...!

...stevenc