[78-L] Convenience fees

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Mar 14 21:42:02 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren at ingram.fi>
>I see one major auctioneer has started adding a "convenience fee" now
> for all card payments on their auctions at short notice. Personally
> I'm not happy paying another 4% on top (and I get stung by Customs for
> that..).. These 4%s add up when you are buying a lot.  The letter
> announcing the changes was rather "wrong" in my personal opinion: but
> that could be a style and cultural difference I accept.
> I thought such fees were against various merchant agreements as well
> as several U.S. state laws. ISTR was was illegal in the European Union
> as well (but that's not an issue here).
> I wonder if other auctioneers and outlets will now follow the trend,
> or make themselves more visible as "non followers".

Be thankful (so far) they have yet to add the "buyer's premium" which
is, sadly, now standard practice in virtually all auctions..!  Understand
that the whole point of "business" in a "free market" economy is to
separate the sucke...er, customer...from the maximum possible amount
of his/her/its cash money (without the use of a loaded firearm...?!).

FEH!!

...stevenc