[78-L] Convenience fees

D P Ingram darren at ingram.fi
Sat Mar 14 05:28:37 PDT 2009

I see one major auctioneer has started adding a "convenience fee" now
for all card payments on their auctions at short notice. Personally
I'm not happy paying another 4% on top (and I get stung by Customs for
that..).. These 4%s add up when you are buying a lot.  The letter
announcing the changes was rather "wrong" in my personal opinion: but
that could be a style and cultural difference I accept.

I thought such fees were against various merchant agreements as well
as several U.S. state laws. ISTR was was illegal in the European Union
as well (but that's not an issue here).

I wonder if other auctioneers and outlets will now follow the trend,
or make themselves more visible as "non followers".

¦ D P Ingram ¦ Ab Ingram Oy ¦