[78-L] Fw: Jewel Gold Note Series (1940s label) question.

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:51:46 PDT 2009

Hmmmmm....I understand typical practice in the 1940s was to record
sessions on 16" lacquers and dub the 'keepers' to 78 lacquers.  I
haven't seen a Capitol 78 that looked, as it were, like a Decca record
of the day.  So it would seem to me, no matter where a session cut
onto 16" discs was done, they always used the same transfer facility
for making the 78 lacquers.  Wasn't that the MacGregor studio, or
somewhere else?  (I have a couple of Black & White 78s, the first two
12" discs of their 'Junior Jazz' series, which appear to have been
mastered at the same location used for this Jewel disc.  One of the
sides has in its dead wax the letter E in a small diamond, about 2/3
the size of the diamond VE stamp on 1930s Victors.  Would this mean
Electro-Vox?)