[78-L] am I missing something?

Doug Duncan d_duncan at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 12 11:16:35 PDT 2009

William A. Brent wrote:
> $5k for an old turn table -
>
> maybe its that diamond needle?
>
> http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/1064084440.html

These Garrard Turntables, the 301 and the later 401, have a cult
following among the hifi people. They do, indeed, sell for quite amazing
prices either as a bare motor unit or with a suitable arm.  The cultists
are true believers who say that if it is old then the quality of the
engineering is better, the materials are better and hence the sound
quality derived will be much better. It is a religious belief and there
is no point trying to argue with them. There is a whole industry that is
dedicated to keeping them going and updating them as well. Things like
slate plinths that are acoustically inert are available together with
'improved' mats, revised bearings and so on.. If your pocket is deep
enough you can indeed make them perform as well as many of the current
generation of hifi turntables. Of course the debate then becomes whether
it is a sensible thing to do in the first place.

The issue for us is that, unlike the current generation of toys, they do
have a 78 nominal speed and incorporate a variable speed system with
strobe.

The price this vendor is asking seems very high to me but I wouldn't
rule out the possibility of him selling for that. If he was selling it
in Japan he could be in with a shout.

I should declare a partisan view here. I have a Garrard 401. It works
well for me. But I only paid £3.50 for mine from a charity shop 15 years
ago. As you can guess that was before  the cultists became interested.

Best Regards,

Doug