[78-L] Oldest record store

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 10 14:56:35 PDT 2009

The oldest one I know about in these parts is Record Town near the campus
of Texas Christian University in Fort Worth.  It was opened in 1957 and is
still operated today by Mrs. Bruton, one of the original owners.  Sumter
Bruton, guitarist with the Juke Jumpers and other bands, grew up in the
store and still uses it as his base.

The Record Shop in Big Spring, TX is probably older but it hasn't operated
as a record store in years.  All the LPs, 45s and 78s are in the basement
and the street level shop now is populated by military antiques but the
store's sign still says Record Shop.

Francisco (1951, and it looks it) and Music Man Murray in L.A. (1962). Any
older ones anywhere?