[78-L] copyright

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Mon Mar 9 06:04:51 PDT 2009

--
It's easier than ever to check sound quality on a recording you buy. You
don't have to sit around in the record shop, you can do it in front of your

Most of the material offered as downloads is still the same that has been
available on CD. What we lose, in sound quality, between the linear sound on
CD and the 320 kbps or so of a mp3 file is a minor problem for 78 rpm
recordings.

It takes you five minutes to download an album and another five minutes to
burn it onto a CD that you can take downstairs or upstairs. Those ten
minutes wouldn't have taken you halfway to your nearest record store, I
guess.

Give up your music? No, you've just started to share it with a larger
audience who has other priorities as to distribution and retail. And thanks
to the youngsters and technocrats we can now get hold of, practically, any
piece of music that has been recorded. Need a sound file of Hanka
Ordonówna's "Milosc Ci Wszystko Wybaczy"? I'll send it to in a jiffy.

Besides: the CD never was a sexy medium. Neither was the cassette. Files
aren't either. But as complement to vinyl and shellac: much better. They
don't clatter. There's no plastic film around them that you have to struggle
with. And if you're lucky you can buy one track at a time, discarding the 21
dull tunes on the "Best Of..." album and get the 22nd one that you like.

So let's look at the bright side of downloads and start to work for better
sound quality. We're only in the beginning. Remember the sound of early
CD's? Today "CD quality" means the highest quality for most people.
In a few years time broadband space will allow us to deal easily with wav
files instead of mp3s. Some dealers already offer music in wav format. As
customers we should ask for this opportunity every time we buy. That will
enhance the overall standard of downloads and facilitate demands for decent
transfers.
Kristjan