[78-L] Liberty Music Shop, NYC

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Mar 8 23:55:03 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> Weren't there some in the 1920s? Not the store labels that Columbia et al
> pressed,

But as is mentioned later on in this, the later ones were also produced
thru the major companies.  The difference is that these in the 20s did
not use the store name as the label name, and practically the only one
which had the store name somewhere on the label was W.T. Grant for Diva.
>  but didn't we read the other week that the Eva Tanguay record on
> Nordskog was issued by a music store?

This might be the first one to have the label name the name of the store
-- but see how long it lasted!  I think it was a furniture store.  I had
heard the family is still in business, and there is a company making
racing car parts.  Another company with that name is a religious book
publisher.

This is an anonymous posting on the discussion page for Nordskog on
Wikipedia.

"Nordskog records was actually located in Santa Monica, Ca on Ocean
blvd. close to the Santa Monica Pier. Also, after the initial problems
with the waxes being sent back east [to ARTO], Andrae Nordskog began
pressing his own records at the Santa Monica facility. I know this
because I'm his great-grandson and have the photos and documents. The
original recording device is at the Smithsonian, in Washington, D.C. The
family is still in possession of many of the copper pressings."

  This looks like a job for Cary G!!  There is also a listing for
Andrae's papers.  http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/tf7s2006cg
But there is another listing of papers for Anre Nordskog, and this is
definitely the right one.
http://siris-archives.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=full=3100001~!228160!0

There is another note on a listing that says

"Brad Kay, musician, collector, and occasional record producer from
Venice, California (just South of Santa Monica) is in contact with
Erik Nordskog, great grandson of Andre/Arnie Nordskog."

Brad -- are you here??  Tell us about this!!

>  As for regular store labels, LMS dates
> from 1932 or slightly earlier, I think. Gramophone Shop Varieties starts around
> 1934.

ARC pressongs?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com