[78-L] copyright

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 8 20:52:19 PDT 2009

Kristjan Saag wrote:
> David Lennick wrote:
>
>>> Let's  not ignore the large
>>> percentage of the world that doesn't want to download  or wouldn't know
>>> how,
>>> as well as a very sizable and sensible group that  would like to hear
>>> music in
>>> the real world, in the car, in the living  room, and not on computer
>>> speakers or
>>> things stuck in their  ears.
> --
> A downloaded tune can be copied to a CD, a cassette, a vinyl disc or a wax
> cylinder and played in your car, your living-room or in your museum, through
> loudspeakers or earphones.

I said, and I repeat, let's not ignore the rest of the world who do not want to
download or wouldn't know how. I can find every freakin' newspaper in the world
on my computer as well, but I still want to read it as a large sheaf of papers
and my wife wants to spread it on the floor. I can't wrap garbage in a computer
either (okay, nobody touch that one, it's too obvious).

> High fidelity (or authentic surface noise) matters aside: the possibility to
> sell and buy music digitally on the spot, without delay, will, and I guess
> already has, vitalized interest in 78 rpm era music.

And once it's posted, nobody ever need transfer it again or do a better job,
because it's now been exposed to the world, either as a file from the copyright
holder or as an amateur job on YouTube. But online purchase of music is
suffering as well. Anyone can post crappy transfers that you can listen to for
free. Quality work is NOT free. The people on this list can tell the difference
but Bill and Betty Public can't because they're idiots and they'll gladly
accept overprocessed mush or records played acoustically into a tinny mike.
Think I'm wrong? Educate them, give them good stuff, and they'll be back. Give
them crap and they'll say "Isn't that cute?" but you won't have exposed them to
good sound or good entertainment.

> Go to i-tunes: search a
> popular title that has been revived and you'll find dozens of the older
> recordings of it as well! You'll find Cab Calloway and Harry James offered
> and exposed with Diana Krall. When did that happen in your record store?

Last time it did, I fell asleep. Diana Krall doesn't even deserve to be
mentioned in the same breath with Calloway and James.

> The downloads have changed the whole record industry, and have now affected
> the reissue niche and those of you who have put your efforts in it benefited
> from it. That's bad. But I don't think these conditions will last long.
> Because the good thing is: digital downloads have made more music available
> than ever. Which, in itself, stimulates curiosity, openness, knowledge - and
> demand for more.
> So why worry? There's a golden opportunity for serious music lovers,
> engineers, restorers, musicologists etc to bypass the petrified record
> industry and to do business themselves or with other operators. The
> alternative, which will take a few years more, is to wait until the industry
> has found new routines for distribution and retail, has started to earn some
> dough again and found the margins for reissue projects.
> Meanwhile: let's download - and buy the CD's that are still there. I do
> both.
> Kristjan

Yup, and you can find them in Dollarama.