[78-L] Record stores RIP (was: copyright)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Mar 8 14:21:40 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> the whole CD reissue
> business has been in the outhouse for several months and I suspect that it's
> going to stay there. An audience still exists, but Retail effectively told them
> to drop dead even before this recession began to take hold.
>
> dl

Retail have been aiming at the wrong customers and physically
frightening off the customers that still want to buy physical items in a
physical store.  This week's issue of Rolling Stone (itself a tiny shell
of its former self) has an article discussing the closing of record
stores and discussing the impending death of the CD.  They cite Nielson
SoundScan figures that CD sales have dropped 48.9% since 2000.  2,680
stores have closed since 2005.  They mention that the Virgin MegaStores
on Broadway and in San Francisco are closing.  I've discussed many times
about that Broadway store in particular, and most other record stores in
general, that adults do not want to enter the store.  They blare out
loud, tastless, vulgar hip-hop, rap, and heavy metal full of negativity
and obscenity -- music that appeals to an audience that has already
changed over to downloading exclusively -- instead of trying to appeal
to the people who are still interested in buying a physical CD or DVD.
Consider the location of that store, Broadway near 44th, right across
from the Marriott Marque hotel and theatre.  There is enormous foot
traffic by that store.  A large percentage of them are tourists, and a
large percentage of those have been drawn there because of the Broadway
Theatre.  But Broadway CDs, easy listening, jazz, classical -- the
things that these people would be interested in -- are downstairs, and
are not even promoted up at street level.  The store looks and sounds
like it is all rap.  Tourists don't know that there are two levels below
that are quieter and have what they would want.  And even those that do
know have to brace themselves and run the gauntlet of ear-splitting crap
to run to an escalator that often is not working.  It is a
self-fulfilling prophecy, the stuff doesn't sell because they have
chased off the customers that would have bought it.  So they give less
emphasis to it, and downward goes the spiral.  Part of the problem is
this business model, and part is that in employing only the cheapest
young clerks by paying them nothing they are getting only employees that
are interested in only that loud crap -- so that is a further reason why
it is played.  And played LOUD.  There are stories about music like
Sinatra being used to discourage loitering of teen gangs, and these
stores know they run the risk of running off potential CHEAP employees.
Remember when clerks in record stores KNEW MUSIC??  Remember when the
music wasn't so loud that you could actually talk to them?

Meanwhile, down at Acadamy Records the narrow store is CROWDED, and
people are BUYING!!!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com