[78-L] more exciting Grey Gull ads

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sun Mar 8 09:48:37 PDT 2009

>David S. wrote--
>
>I guess the question is how far his reach with these ads extended.  Was
>he ambitious (and optimistic) enough to go national?

Great question.  The sense I get is that in the early years, he
mainly focused on the eastern US, but by the late 20s when the
company was in some financial difficulties, I found a few ads about
GG records you could by for incredibly cheap, like 10 cents, at
department stores-- and those ads ran in midwestern cities (Madision
WI for example). They could have been placed by the dept. stores
rather than by Mr Shaw, however...

But I was surprised that he put so much focus on Philly-- I knew that
in the same time period of 1922-early 1923, he placed a lot of ads in
New England newspapers (the Boston Post was a big one for him) and a
few in NY/NJ newspapers, an even a couple of tiny ads in the Chicago
Tribune, but I had never seen the ads for Philadelphia before, and
they were fairly good sized display ads, the sort he was placing in
the Boston Post.