[78-L] more exciting Grey Gull ads

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sat Mar 7 16:54:44 PST 2009

For those who care deeply about the life and times of Grey Gull, and
who among us does not, I found another series of newspaper ads that
Theodore Lyman Shaw placed in 1922, a year when he seemed to truly
believe he was gonna put GG on the map -- he advertised in a bunch of
newspapers in 1922/early 1923, and that must have cost him quite a
few bucks... given his own reputation for being cheap, it's
interesting that there was a time when he really did spend money
trying to spread the word about GG.

These ads I found ran in the Philadelphia Inquirer spradically from
July to December.  The early ads stressed the amazing price of a GG
record (55 cents).  One ad was for the song "Stumbling" which the ad
described as "this sensational foxtrot is far snappier on Grey Gull
than on any other record. Wonderful rhythm!  Dandy vocal
chorus!"  Okay, I give up-- what was better about the GG version of
the song?  And the July ad said over 600 stores in Philly were
carrying GG records-- drug stores, music stores, stationery stores
and variety stores, according to the ad. [The number of stores varied
with each ad-- one ad said 600, another claimed 800, a third said
700.  I guess he couldn't decide on his own talking points.]

Theo did refer repeatedly to the benefits of selling GG in so many
different kinds of stores, as we have discussed in an earlier GG
thread, and this concept was a favourite talking point-- he claimed
that selling his records in so many different types of stores (not
just in record stores) actually kept prices low-- an early October
1922 ad claimed that this "self-service rack of Grey Gull Records" in
each store meant that there were "no high-priced clerks to 'push'
them at you-- no frills-- no unnecessary 'service'.  The records are
simply there, for people who see and want them.  This is the most
sensible, direct and economical way of selling that is humanly
possible, and it just naturally slices 20 cents off the price of
records."  Now, whether the records were worth even 55 cents is
something we have debated, but I digress.

By December, when he was promoting the Button Buster song, he claimed
GG records were the fastest selling records in Philly. How he
determined that is anyone's guess, but he now was charging 65 cents
for them.