[78-L] Need a needle!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Mar 6 11:14:10 PST 2009

Jim Whipkey wrote:
> I need some help from this well-informed list re:  finding a  stylus for  a
> phonograph.  I  got excited last night  while attending an estate auction
> and  purchased a Panasonic am/fm phonograph which plays 4 speeds,  16-33-45
> and 78.  It's model SG-650, made by Matsushita Elec. Industraial Co LTD in
> Japan.   The  radio  works fine, but  the  needle cartridge is  missing.

Is it just the needle that is missing or is the entire cartridge that is
missing?
> Search on E-Bay  failed to turn  up exact match, although there are a lot of
> needles and stylus' available. Does anyone  know where I might locate a
> stylus for this  machine?

Check this out.  Is this what the cartridge looks like.  If so, you
could buy this cartridge and use the needle, or use the picture to find
the needle in other listings.  It is an L-shaped flipover needle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARTRIDGE-P-27,-PANASONIC-EPC-35,SEARS,-J.C.-PENNEY-_W0QQitemZ350171173097QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090226?IMSfp=TL090226111002r31627

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com