[78-L] Harry Reser, d. 1965

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Mar 6 10:08:38 PST 2009

We can also add Harry Reser to the list of those who died in the saddle or
with boots on or whatever.

Reser was in the pit band on Broadway of Fiddler on the Roof and,  according
to the obit I recall,  was always the first to show up, to have plenty of
time to get his banjo all tuned up.  One night,  the next guy who showed up
discovered him in the orchestra pit,  dead from a heart attack.

I have that Apollo record of his,  as well as two records on the
ever-fascinating Variety label from 1937...those sides include a funny
novelty called "Hook and Ladder 31" as well as a couple of pop tunes in
regular commercial style.

About the first recording group I ever tried to complete for my collection
was his Six Jumping Jacks on Brunswick...which still provide me with endless
pleasure.  I don't think anyone ever combined so much great music with
novelty and comedy as did Reser...and that would even include Spike Jones.

Taylor