[78-L] What's the story on Victor 17959?

Bob Rice bobrice at snet.net
Thu Mar 5 08:04:00 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 11:05 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] What's the story on Victor 17959?

> Hey.."I'm Glad My Wife's In Europe" bordered on the sick, too.
>
> dl
>
> Taylor Bowie wrote:
>> Just seems odd to me that, after the sinking of the Lusitania,  how
>> anyone
>> could issue any sort of comic song about U-Boats...more than 100
>> Americans
>> lost their lives when she sank.

   But in the 1915 "hit" Columbia "The Sinking of the Liusitania" NOWHERE
was it mentioned a submarine! The pitch was;" American Ships, who sail from
our slips are safer for you and me. A Yankee can go anywhere as long as Old
Glory is There" Ya think they, the songwriter coulda gotten in something
about "your Damn U -boats!"Line  from Tell it to the Marines?" Billy Murray
or Al Jolson?They DID give a "Damn" back then! The whole Damn Family<g>!

    Humor from a different era, I guess?"Dancing in that old Submarine?
Hell! It wasn't THAT old as sub tech was moving right along?Diseasel subs in
WW1!Ours were gas rigs! Top speed 12 knots or so. The Lucy SOULDA/Coulda run
away and hid from any U boat! Or run over it,if she saw it first! There is
another Sub record about a collision with a Sub,by a passenger liner, in the
20's? The sub was wrecked with loss of life?

    Sea ya

    Bob