[78-L] Lost Recordings

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 2 19:14:20 PST 2009

I've been ahead of you guys for decades..Tom sent me dubs of those transfers
about 20 years ago for possible use on my CBC program.

A couple of years ago, I bought a basement full of old records, mainly to get
at the 400 or so Victor Home Recordings in the stash (in fact I finally gave
away all the other 78s, which were all "good music" i.e. Gilbert and Sullivan
medleys and the like). I still need to get a wide tip stylus. The few discs I
checked out are of airchecks of radio programs in the early 40s..the system was
still in use as late as 1944 and the blanks cost $1.29 apiece (price is still
on the sleeves). I even saw the machine they were recorded on, which was a
modified transcription table with 4 arms.

dl