[78-L] the Lost Recordings of...

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 13:46:10 PST 2009

Rodger, I presume you've considered an appeal to the COC churches themselves, perhaps asking for a brief item in their bulletins. While you understandably wish to make a fun comparison with unfound commercial recordings, don't sell them short on their own merits; in the period of those radio reels (1952+), and even earlier, there are more notable amateur/collegiate recordings than some people think. Inaccurate presumptions about them have created a bias favoring commercial recordings, but true sound archivists (as opposed to collectors of only commercially released discs) know better. Such non-commercial captured sound may contain documentation of later notable figures, they may represent early recordings jobs by professional recordists (e.g. Sam Phillips), or be significant for any of a number of reasons. Examples in my own collection include a collegiate recording of well known comedy writer Jay Tarses, a very scarce lp with serious cover art by future
 "Doonesbury" cartoonist Garry Trudeau, and an early 78 transcription from Dallas' WFAA of a school Christmas choir. You might also check with the LOC to see which of their radio airchecks and other items might have FHU relevance.