[78-L] My first MAPL side on a 78 rpm?

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Mon Mar 2 08:06:01 PST 2009

  One genre that I collect is Canadiana. I judge a disc by the old MAPL
formula (Music, Artist, Production, Lyrics) which was used to determine
Canadian content for radio stations.
  I think my pal Bud has sold me my first wholly MAPL side. Can anyone
confirm that this side by Wilf "Montana Slim" Carter and the Calgary
Stampeders was recorded in Canada, and if so, where?  It's  RCA Victor cat
#58-01000-B.  The artists, the music and lyrics are clearly Canadian, so
it qualifies for MAL, at least.
  I may have a MAPL side which predates the Wilf Carter acquisition. It's
another cowboy platter by Dixie Bill Hilton and the Calgary Range Riders
on Apex (cat# 26364).  It's called "Thousand miles at sea", but with no
songwriting credits.  It's b/w "Careless ways", which I'm guessing is a
standard country song from the U.S.A.
  How can I date this disc and place the recording location?
- Stephen D
Calagary

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.