[78-L] Victor Borge on 78

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Mar 1 22:51:19 PST 2009

I haven't been looking long, but I am not finding anything remotely
approaching a Borge discography on line, especially some sites claiming
to BE a "Borge Discography".  They mostly discuss only CD's with the
release dates being the date of the CD, not the original, and the one
site (All Music) that did list some of the LPs that never made it to CD
does not mention "Concert Favorites", the non-comedy all-music
Columbia.  And considering what dl said about the 12/31/47 pre-strike
deadline for musical recordings, five of the eight sides on the second
78 set are all music and no talk, two are talk and piano, and one is all
talk.  So that one, "Inflation (sic.) Language"  would have been the
only one that could have been recorded in 1948, but was still done in
Dec 47.

Considering the info that has been put here concerning the 10-inch
varieties, maybe we should do it.  What I would especially want would be
the Europeans to get me info on his pre-war European recordings.  I
think I've mentioned that when I met him I asked him if he had made any
recordings there and he said yes with no further info.  I later found
one, an HMV of a two sided non-musical comedy routine in Danish about
going to a restaurant.  He is identified as Borge Rosenbaum, of course.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com