[78-L] Victor Borge on 78

Randy Watts rew1014 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 1 22:20:34 PST 2009

--- On Sun, 3/1/09, David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Victor Borge on 78
> To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
> Date: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 11:54 PM
> Randy Watts wrote:
> > --- On Sun, 3/1/09, David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> >> And then Capitol reissued some ten-inchers with
> "two
> >> complete albums" on the jacket. As for those
> >> Columbia double sets, know how many of those I've
> >> ever run across? Exactly one half of one..Victor
> >> Borge Part 1. With a fifteen dollar Price tag.
> It's
> >> still sitting there.
> >>
> >> dl
> >
> > Splitting up a twelve-inch pop album into two ten-inch
> ones must have been an idea that bombed, and bombed quickly,
> given how few were done and how hard to find those things
> are. Kind of strange that they would have thought there'd be
> a market, given that ten-inch LPs were rapidly disappearing
> by the time they started doing those.
> >
> > Randy
>
> And they were also putting them out as 45RPM EP sets....
>
> dl

I used to know a gentleman who managed a record store for many years, and he once told me how difficult it became in the early 1950s when record companies were putting on the same things in so many different configurations. He said there was a great deal of pressure from them to carry every format, irregardless of the fact that there was always only a limited amount of space available. He said it was a blessing when 78 rpm albums started disappearing because those ate up so much room.

Randy