[78-L] Victor Borge on 78^

soundthink at aol.com soundthink at aol.com
Sun Mar 1 19:26:56 PST 2009

That's OK. It's all in the spirit of Borge, who appreciated dumb puns. Here are a few comments he made about the instruments of the symphony orchestra:

"Violins are the most romantic instruments because they have an hourglass figure, they have G strings, and they are always used for serenades."

"Clarinets are like lawyers. They have cases, mouthpieces, and they need a constant supply of hot air in order to function."

"The trombone is an odd-looking contraption, shaped something like a four-foot paper clip. The player changes notes by moving a huge slide in and out, and must therefore be careful not to clonk the musician in front of him."

"The first trumpets sounded so horrible that they scared people out of their wits, which was precisely the idea."

"The oboe sounds like a clarinet with a cold, but it's the instrument that the whole orchestra tunes up to."

"There are literally hundreds of varieties of drums and bells and gongs, and still composers are forever looking for new noisemakers, writing parts for whips and sirens, vacuum cleaners and pot covers, automobile brake drums, airplane propellors, and rocket noise. It was at the premiere of one of those modern works that a dignified, well-dressed listener suddenly raised his umbrella high in the air. Attached to the tip of it was his white handkerchief."

By the way, on Feb. 18, Borge would have celebrated his 100th birthday. In inflationary language, "Happy Birthday three you, Victor!"

Cary Ginell