[78-L] Delta Rhythm Boys/ Jan Johansson

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sun Mar 1 14:25:13 PST 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:

>I recall from reading an obit for one of the DRBs (Lee,  the tall bass guy)
> that two or three of them relocated to Sweden some time in the 1950s.

Lee Gaines first lived in France, then in Finland, where he died in 1987.
One of the funeral guests was baritone Hugh Bryant, who had joined the group
in 1962. He had just started to sing "He Will Understand And Say Well Done"
from the organ loft, when he fell dead from a heart attack.
A few of the later mambers (Walter Trammel and Ray Beatty) lived in Sweden
for some time.
--

> I love their soundie ca. 1950 of "Undecided."  Very hip with a lot of
> boppish touches.  Anybody know the piano player in it?  One of them calls
> him "Sam."

Delta Rhythm Boys vo, Sixten Eriksson tp, Fritz Fust as, Gösta Theselius ts,
Curt Blomquist bars, Charlie Norman p, Sven Stiberg g, Simon Brehm b, Henry
Wallin dr.

Sep 4, 1952

375-A UNDECIDED Met B616, BLP32, MEP318

Kristjan