[78-L] An update to www.cool78s.com

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 28 09:07:53 PST 2009

At that time, Sam was still on College Street (I was wheeled into that store
when I was about a year old). He opened his first Yonge Street location in the
back of Yolles Furniture, south of Dundas, in about 1959..once he determined
that there was enough business, he opened the big store north of Gould and just
a couple of doors down from the long-established A&A. Both were just south of
my grandfather's store (Paige Credit Jewellers) so I was no stranger to the
area..nor to Frank's cheeseburgers and chocolate shakes right on the corner of
Yonge and Dundas. Between Sam's and the A&A was Steele's Tavern, where Gordon
Lightfoot entertained in the 60s (and which was a major hangout for us Ryerson
students).

dl