[78-L] Victor Oakland pressings with different font

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Feb 28 05:22:21 PST 2009

Harold Aherne wrote:
>> I recently acquired a Vincent Rose/Art Hickman Victor from 1924,
recorded and pressed on the west coast, and the font is *very* different from
any other that Victor used from 1914 until the early 50s (that I've seen, of course).
The titles are in a serif-font which looks sort of like that on Columbia in 1925-26 (only
larger) and the names of the bands are in a thick sans-serif font. Was this used for
all Oakland pressings at the time, or only for masters recorded on the west coast?
<<
---
I checked available label pictures and found the different font on following Victor Oakland labels:

19379 Hickman / V. Rose (recd Jun 1924)
19398 V. Rose / Landry
19399 Hickman (2x)
19406 Halstead (30-8-24) / Hickman
(19409 by Max Dolin (19-6-24) not seen)
19410 Oswald (2x) [incl. Oh, Peter take 7] (5 Sep 24).

All are also known with "normal" East Coast labels.
I think the Oakland pressings were the orig. issues, and the new font was used for a short time
(ca. Aug-Oct 1924?) and then rejected.
It would be interesting to know in which catalog supplements these releases were listed as 'new'.

Han Enderman